What is Uruguay Famous For?
What is Uruguay famous for? Here is a very small taste!
- Uruguay is the second smallest country in South America, it has about 3.4 million inhabitants with approximately 1.8 million people living in the capital city, Montevideo.
- The country has a vast wine industry and it is located in the top five producers of wine in South America.
- Yerba mate is considered the national drink and has become part of Uruguay’s social culture.
- Chivito is the national snack or meal of the country.
- Montevideo is one of the most interesting places to see for its art deco buildings, colonial homes and neoclassical performance theatre.
- Soccer is a very popular sport in the country and it has produced several world-renowned football players such as Diego Forlan, Luis Suarez, Edinson Cabani amongst others. If you did not know, Uruguay won the first world cup and currently has three world titles.
- Uruguay was the second South American country to legalize same sex marriage.
- Uruguay, unlike most other countries in South America, is secular – the country does not have any official religion.